PLEASE SEND LETTERS BEFORE 5 OCTOBER 2017 TO:
Governor Rick Scott
Office of the Governor,
The Capitol 400 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001, USA
(Personalised letter template)
I am writing to you about the case of Cary Michael Lambrix, #482053, with the purpose to respectfully ask for a clemency hearing on his behalf. Michael Lambrix is scheduled for execution on 10/5/2017.
I am [describe who you are, any particular moral, human or personal reason why you are writing to them).
This case is unique enough that it should compel the State of Florida to grant a
special attention to under the form of an official clemency hearing (his last clemency hearing was held over thirty years ago).
Many reasons could be given in support of such a hearing, such as:
1. The inordinate length of time already served
2. He has never been given the opportunity to present his version of events as a coherent whole. The members of the Cabinet deserve to hear the full story.
3. Lambrix’s version of events (manslaughter in self-defence) remains credible. By contrast, the case against him appears in many ways legally contentious:
- The key witness changed the story she told the police several times
- The key witness admitted in court to having had a sexual affair with the
State’s lead investigator
- Another leading witness later retracted her evidence
- Key forensic evidence has gone missing or is unavailable for testing (namely
fingernail scrapings and the tire iron)
- The State theory of the sequential killing of the two victims appears to many
questionable at best.
4. The jury verdicts were not unanimous, but 8-4 and 10-2. Should Mike Lambrix be tried today, he would NOT have been sentenced to death.
5. Mike Lambrix has twice refused offers of a plea-bargain, even though had he done so he would long since have been free.
However, there is one human picture that the courts will not be able to address:
Mike Lambrix is a man of exceptional intelligence and personal resolve who has educated himself in prison and managed to make his experience valuable to others:
He will be next year part of a major exhibition at the Nobel Peace Center in Norway, and his writings, his advice to others on how to pursue legitimate successful lives are already part of a wider, burgeoning effort to educate and encourage the public.